Nikon has a small global competition to launch next year. The Nikon Small World Competition is open to anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope. Nikon welcomes a broad range of subject matter, and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution, and mixed techniques.
A glowing zebrafish wins the 2020 Nikon Small World photography contest.The 2020 competition has winners who are professional and hobbyists as well. The prize-winning photography of the year is a glowing zebra fish whose parts of lymphatic system were illuminated. This photography by Daniel Castranova, Bakary Samasa and Brant Weinstein has
- The Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition (the “Competition”) is open only to individuals who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry and have access to a light microscope.
- The following individuals are not eligible to enter the Competition:
- employees of Nikon Instruments Inc., Shaw & Todd, Inc., their respective parent companies and affiliated companies, and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee,
- The Competition Judges, regardless of the date of appointment, and/or their immediate family and household members, and/or
- Individuals engaged (as a business owner or employee) in the manufacture, distribution and/or sale of microscopes, related accessories and/or photographic equipment. Participation in the competition and the receipt of any prize may prize be restricted or void where prohibited.
Guidelines and Restrictions
- Participation in this Competition constitutes the entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor and/or Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Competition.
- Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- Sponsor will receive entries to the Competition beginning on September 1, 2020 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time USA ("ET") and ending on April 30th, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
- ET (the "Competition Entry Period"). Sponsor's computer is the official time-keeping device for the Competition.
- Upload up to three photomicrographic digital images taken by the Entrant to the Entry Form.
- Entries submitted to Nikon are then judged by an independent panel of experts who are recognized authorities in the area of photomicrography and photography.
- These entries are judged on the basis of originality, informational content, technical proficiency and visual impact.
- Winners are solely responsible for any and/or all taxes and fees of any kind associated with the receipt and/or use of any and all Prizes.
Nikon Instruments Inc., a Delaware corporation, 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747. ADMINISTRATOR: Shaw & Todd, Inc., PO Box 7197, Freehold New Jersey 07728.
Each year, the top 20 prize-winners are exhibited at numerous museums and science centers throughout the United States and Canada. Many winning images have also been featured on the covers of prestigious scientific and industrial journals.
The prize winners will receive a cash prize of:
- 1st Prize – USD $3,000
- 2nd Prize – USD $2,000
- 3rd Prize – USD $1,000
- 4th Prize – USD $800
- 5th Prize – USD $600
- 6th Prize – USD $400
- 7th – 10th Prizes – USD $300 each
- 11th – 20th Prizes – USD $200 each
Honorable Mentions: USD $100 each. The number of Honorable Mention Prizes will be determined by the Judges in their sole discretion.
Distinction Prize: One Nikon-branded promotional item, having a retail value of approximately Thirty-Five (USD$35.00) Dollars (the “Premium Item”). The number of Images of Distinction Prizes will be determined by the Judges in their sole discretion. Nikon may in its sole discretion, provide the winner with a Gift Card (defined below) in the amount of Thirty-Five (USD$35.00) Dollars, in substitution of the Premium Item.
All Prizes will be awarded in the form of a Visa gift card preloaded in the amount of the Prize in U.S. Dollars (the “Gift Card”). The Gift Card is subject to Visa’s applicable terms and conditions, which may include an expiration date for use. Each Prize shall be awarded in full to the winner who is the registered Entrant. Prizes will not be awarded, split or apportioned between or among multiple individuals.
Nikon small world photography winner by danielcastranova Snowflake photography by calebfoster Snail tongue photography by igorsiwanowicz Skin organoid human hair follicles photography by karl and jiyoonlee Majestic moss photography by miroslavzit Virul infection mouse paw photography by jonardcorpuz Sebas short tailed photography by dorithockman Multi nucleate spores soil fungus photography by vasileioskokkoris Microtubules inside cell photography by jasonkirk Bogong moth photography by ahmadfauzan Octopus bimaculoides embryo photography by martynalukoseviciute Vitamin c photography by karldeckart Microscopic photos hidden developing clownfish photography by daniel Pyramidal neurons photography by alexandrewilliammoreau Xenopus embryos photography by michaelklymkowsky Clione sp larva photography by matthewhooge Melanocytes frogskin photography by david k terbush Antibiotic dissolved in water image by davidgnizak Encysted parasitic round worm photography by eric v grave Mangrove leaf photography by daphne znaeren colbourn
Click here nikonsmallworld.com to register and apply for the competition.
Check out the website for further information on the contest.